Ngala Private Game Reserve has the privilege of being the only private reserve in the world-renowned Kruger National Park. Opulent Ngala Safari Lodge pays tribute to a bygone era of elegance while Ngala Tented Camp is chic and modern.
BATELEUR WITH VERVET MONKEY
The other evening we saw this bateleur eagle feeding on a vervet monkey. There was no way to tell if the eagle had killed or scavenged this animal, but it was a first for me to see. As literature suggests, about 30% of the their diet is from hunting while the other 70% made up from scavenging.
I believe this small sized monkey was actually killed by a larger bird such as a tawny or martial eagle and that the bateleur had just found the remains.
Poor monkey.... Nevertheless, the monkey is really a favorite food of eagles. Its a "survival of the fittiest" scene but also a drama in a food chain. I envy you for having seen all of these things. I also love adventure and would want to visit for a safari in the near future.
By: AML, Date: 21 July 2011
Thank you for posting your comment
Due to spamming reasons, your comment will be checked before it will be shown for this sighting.